From The Slight Edge a new book by Jeff Olsen in which he talks about how to gain, you’ve guessed it, The Slight Edge by using incremental actions and daily gains rather than world shattering leaps or a quick fix. Worth printing and sticking on your wall – where you can see it.
- Show Up. Make like Nike and Just Do It. Establish your small, productive actions and envision your end goal.
- Be consistent. The kicker is that those small, productive actions are DAILY choices, achievable and yet progressive.
- Have a positive outlook. Olsen shares research that suggests the more positive your outlook, the more productive your output, increasing your likelihood of an upward curve toward success. He encourages a daily inventory of blessings, writing down or sharing small wins or areas of gratitude on a consistent basis.
- Be committed for the long haul. The Slight Edge does not provide a quick fix or overnight results, you must be aware of the invisible progress and set yourself up to handle the incremental shifts towards your end goal. Much like healthy weight loss, The Slight Edge forms habits lending itself to long-term sustainability.
- Cultivate a burning desire backed by faith. “The few people who achieve great things are those who not only passionately wanted to achieve them but also clearly see themselves achieving them”.
- Be willing to pay the price. Olsen suggests that in order to make the change or to see the progress you have to give something up, to make room for these new, consistent actions. That could be giving up Tuesday’s beer league or Saturday’s sleep in.
- Practice Slight Edge Integrity. What you do when no one is watching.