Lynn Fox has asked me to promote her course on Dental Sedation Adult and Paediatric Immediate Life Support. As someone who practiced sedation I believe that on going training and updates on sedation techniques and particularly Life Support are essential.
For clinical dental staff who wish to provide / assist with conscious Inhalation Sedation or both Inhalation and IV sedation for adults and children. The Dental Sedation Immediate Life Support course fully complies with IACSD standards for Conscious Sedation in the Provision of Dental Care 2015 who state “Practitioners must be able to provide age-appropriate immediate life support as defined by the main elements of the Resuscitation Council (UK) ILS and PILS training programmes. It is not essential to undertake a Resuscitation Council (UK) accredited ILS/PILS course. Alternative courses with equivalent content which are adapted to the needs of dental practice are acceptable: these might also include the management of common sedation, medical and dental emergencies.”
We are responding positively to this by offering these main Resuscitation Council elements on a non Resuscitation Council, tailor made, one day Dental Sedation Immediate Life Support course which has been developed specifically for the Dental team. This Dental Sedation Immediate Life Support course clearly combines the main elements from the RC Immediate Life Support Course (ILS) and Paediatric Immediate Life Support Course (PILS) in one day.
The course developer and lead instructor is Lynn Fox, a Resuscitation Council accredited instructor in ALS/ILS/EPLS/GIC. Lynn has 11 years of experience in teaching to hospital cardiac arrest teams and has previously lectured on anaphylaxis for the British Dental Association which is now a BDA online lecture. Lynn also teaches Dental Medical Emergencies to in-house dental practices and groups including The Oxford Post Graduate Dental School at Thames Valley Health Education.
Next open course date:
26th October 2017 in Oxfordshire.
Dental Sedation Immediate Life Support course content includes:
- Causes and prevention of cardiorespiratory arrest in the adult and child
- ABCDE approach including the management of dental, medical and common sedation emergencies in the adult and child including respiratory depression, aspiration, anaphylaxis and other associated emergencies
- Basic Life Support and Automated External Defibrillation scenarios for adult and child
- Adult and child airway management using basic maneuvers & airway adjuncts: BVM, OPA, NPA and supraglottic airway (i-gel)
- Team roles and responsibilities
- Assessment will focus on the compromised airway both for the respiratory and airway compromised patient and during cardiac arrest.
Certificate will show 7 hours verifiable CPD as per GDC requirements.
Link to the course website for more information and to book your place HERE